StandardCDC with Web Edition

Jan 13, 2014 at 6:40 PM
Any change this will work with Web Edition of SQL Server?

Thanks
Jan 13, 2014 at 9:51 PM
I can't see why not given that it's just sproc and trigger based.
I've read the comparison chart here and can't see anything missing.
Jan 14, 2014 at 12:03 PM
Thank you - very helpful. Looking into it now I'm not seeing that StandardCDC will tell me WHICH columns have changed. In Change Data Capture the update_mask is a bit field that can be decoded to determine which fields changed. Is there anything in StandardCDC that will give me that information?
Jan 14, 2014 at 7:09 PM
Sorry but that's not a feature at present, though I can see the need, and nothing much seems to be happening with the project.
I think it would be fairly easy to implement but personally, I would prefer it to be an overnight scheduled job to update the (yet to be created) bit field rather than take the performance hit in real-time during busy periods and when it's unlikely to be required. I would also keep the bit field in a separate table with a FK to the row changed. That way you can accept updates to this project (if any more ever happen) without having to merge differences and additions.
Jan 14, 2014 at 7:42 PM
Thanks. I ended up just creating triggers and comparing the field values from the inserted and deleted tables and writing those records to a table in my database. The triggers from StandardCDC really helped me get that set up.
Jan 14, 2014 at 8:12 PM
Glad you got something working. You can always move it offline if performance becomes an issue. Keep in mind that an update will fire each trigger twice, once for delete and once for insert. Posting your code back here might help some else with the same or similar issue in the future.